Sunday, May 25, 2008

Our First Auction






Steve and I went to our first real estate auction yesterday, in Joelton.


It was to settle the estate of Zachary Taylor. The auction consisted of his personal possession, home, two tracts of land, and farm equipment.


The personal property auction began at 10. There were tons of people there, and everyone congregated under the huge shade trees in the front yard.


Prior to the start, I was taking a look at all the stuff. A woman approached me, said she was from Michigan, and wondered how the auctions worked. I had to say, I didn't know, since I'd never been to one.


One of the auction team overheard her and explained, telling here he'd have to charge her double since she was from The North!. Later, during the auction, he mentioned that there was a woman there from Michigan who hadn't bought a thing! She was very good-natured about the teasing.


Anyway...I had read in the paper that there would be hand-stitched quilts so I took a photo of them...the biggest find in my book was a "head vase". I sold one on Ebay a couple of years ago for $164! However, we didn't come prepared to buy anything, we were just seeking the experience.


The personal possessions auction was interesting and entertaining. They sold off the bigger ticket items and then began lumping stuff together in boxes. You could take your chances. That explains why sometimes in antique booths there is a bunch of junk...it must be the leftovers from these grab boxes.


The property auction started at 11. The home was pretty outdated but it and 71 acres sold for $325k due to proximity to Interstate 24. The remaining 52 acres was up to $305k when we left.


We were tired of standing, even though it was pleasant under the shade trees. Steve's feet hurt and my back hurt.


Next time we'll be prepared: cash (for concession items as well as stuff), lawn chairs (most people had them), and water.


After we left there we headed over to Pleasant View for lunch and then a stop at our favorite antique store, The Livery Stable, on Highway 49. They had some great stuff!


I'm attaching a picture or two from the auction, and the rest are from the Livery Stable.


We came home and watched tv, worked in the garden, had a relaxing dinner, and watched more tv.


It was a wonderful day!

No comments: